[arch-general] Source control on /etc

Squall Lionheart headmastersquall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:46:38 EDT 2012

I wrote a system backup program called "mime" that works similar to Apple's
Time Machine on the back end.  Basically each time you backup your system,
another copy of your file system is available.  Another program is
installed with it called "lsmime" which is used to list, restore and view
information about files that are backed up.  The new version I am about to
release even has the ability to view a diff on a particular file against
any version that is in your backups.  The features available give the feel
of having your entire file system under version control.

The version on the site is functional and we have been using it on our
servers and work stations for years.  I will have a new version available
in a few weeks.  The current version can be downloaded here from the link
below.  If you end up using it, I greatly appreciate any feedback you can
provide.

In regards to your original question, I don't know what is considered the
"Arch" way of doing this, however I run Arch at work and at home and is
backed up using mime on a daily or weekly frequency (this has saved my butt
more than once).

http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/

Thank you
Squall