[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:49:50 EDT 2012

Jason Ryan said the following at 06/20/2012 04:54 PM :

> I encountered this same issue at the start of the year: it is simply a matter of
> completing the installation and chrooting in to install grub to both your
> devices: http://jasonwryan.com/blog/2012/02/11/lvm/

The wiki seems strongly to urge one NOT to use grub, and the example given
is for syslinux, so that's what I've been doing. Indeed. it says that the
2011.08.19 Arch Linux installer does not not support GRUB2. (I'm a bit
confused about whether when "grub" is mentioned it means "grub2"; the wiki
could be a lot clearer about that -- to be on the safe side, I avoided grub
entirely and went with syslinux instead). 2011.08.19 is the what one gets if
one downloads the current installer.

According to the wiki, the step of copying the bootloader is supposed to
occur after the reboot, and your page says that that should be possible. I did
not realise it could be done before the reboot (since the wiki doesn't mention
that possibility) so I have not tried that.

I was planning to follow the new instruction placed into the wiki by Paul Dann
and mentioned in his e-mail <2457829.5nCasJRlDv at leto> once I got past the
reboot stage. So perhaps, having now discovered that the bootloader can be
copied before the reboot, what I need to do is to go through the entire
procedure again and this time copy the bootloader with
  /usr/sbin/syslinux-install_update -iam
BEFORE the reboot.

Incidentally, I have tried to boot off both the disks in the RAID1 array; they
both fail with the same error (unable to find /dev/md0).

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR