[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

Chris Sakalis chrissakalis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 15:57:56 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sorry for the stupid question, but do you rebuild the init ram image
>> after changing your mkinitcpio.conf ?
>
> I don't understand the question, so it's not at all stupid. I'm just following
> the instructions on the wiki. The wiki says to edit mkinitcpio.conf
> immediately prior to the reboot, so that's what I'm doing. It doesn't mention
> any need to rebuild an image (nor how to do it).
>
>  Doc
>
> --
> Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

On the wiki, it does not mention anything about rebuilding your
initramfs, because mkinitcpio is called automatically by the installer
after the configuration phase. However:

mkinitcpio.conf is read by the mkinitcpio utility in order to create
the initial ramdisk image. Essentially, it's a bunch of stuff needed
by the kernel before the root filesystem is made available. After you
edit the mkinitcpio.conf file, you HAVE to rebuild[1] your initramfs
image, in order for the changes to actually take effect. If you just
edit the file and then reboot, nothing is done.

Also, I assume you are using the live CD for making your changes. Make
sure that, when creating the images, you have chrooted[2] into your
installation and you are not just creating them on the Live CD fs.

--Chris Sakalis

[1] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Image_creation_and_activation
[2] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot