[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:00:23 EDT 2012

On 06/21/2012 03:57 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Chris Sakalis said the following at 06/21/2012 02:39 PM :
>

>> Note that, the arch installer automatically generates the image after
>> the configuration is done (the penultimate step of the installer -
>> "Configure System"). I guess that's why it is not explicitly mentioned
>> in the wiki.
>>
>> If you edit your mkinitcpio.conf *without* or *after* running this
>> step, then you have to create a new image on your own. Otherwise, the
>> installer takes care of it.
>>

> OK; I understand. Thank you.
>
> I'll go back and make sure that this is happening properly when I have the
> stomach for it (not today!).
>
>   Doc

D. R.,

  I just stumbled across the information in the mkinitcpio wiki page working a
'dm'raid boot failure. Take a look at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

Under:

Using RAID

First, add the mdadm hook to the HOOKS array and any required RAID modules to
the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

Kernel Parameters: Using the mdadm hook, you no longer need to configure your
RAID array in the GRUB parameters. The mdadm hook will either use your
/etc/mdadm.conf file or automatically detect the array(s) during the init phase
of boot.

Assembly via udev is also possible using the mdadm_udev hook. Upstream prefers
this method of assembly. /etc/mdadm.conf will still be read for purposes of
naming the assembled devices if it exists.

  HTH, sorry if you already had the info.

- --
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.