[arch-general] x86_64 kernel 3.4.3-1 fail to boot - initramfs unpacking failed: uncompression error

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:14:06 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 04:49 PM, Ray Kohler wrote:
>> Looks like a bad ramdisk. Get it booted somehow (fallback image might
>> even work) and run mkinitcpio -p linux by hand.
>
> Thanks Ray, will do and report back.

Ray, thank you -- that worked -- but it doesn't explain why the corruption
occurred in the fist place?

All,

  With D.R. Evans mdraid issue and my dmraid corruption of the ramdisk, is there
something in the 3.4.3 kernel handling of dmraid (or raid in general) that might
explain the corruption I experienced?

  After I chrooted the system and ran 'mkinitcpio -p linux' by hand, the box
booted right up. Weird stuff.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.