[arch-general] Chromium browser does not follow the proxy settings

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 09:42:16 EDT 2012

On Saturday 23 Jun 2012 09:18:19 Genes MailLists wrote:
>   There was an issue with some earlier chrome versions and changes
> made in kde. This may or may not be your issue.
>
>   Please check the file:
>
>    ~/.kde4/share/config/kioslaverc
>
>  And make sure that the proxy port only has a colon between the host
> and the port num. At some point kde made them spaces and chrome
> broke. Kde could have broke too I don't know :-)

Well you are correct, there is indeed a space. But KDE apps are not
broken.
>   SAldo, it seems kde provides a file but no API to read the file -
> kind of a poor design.
>
>   Anyway hand edit the file so it looks more like
>
>    httpProxy=http://proxy.foo.com:3128
>
> etc.

I did that, makes no difference. Actually, I have a SOCKS5 proxy, so my
line instead changes to

socksProxy=SOCKS5://localhost:7546

If i do that, then chrome connections fails because it cannot connect to
the proxy properly. Anything else is ignored by chrome and it switched
to direct connection (which is dangerous, there should at least be a
warning that the proxy is not being used.)

Anyway, the proxy url is the same url which I use when I use the --
proxy-server option and again, even after edit, the KDE application are
working fine and process the proxy correctly and use it.

--
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Badwaik