[arch-general] locale variables

m a mantonavia at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:28:37 EDT 2012

> Dear list,

> I am fine tuning my Arch box, trying to understand and configuring step
by step.

> I just realised I didn't take care of all the file.pacnew in /etc, and I
am now taking each one.
> Now dealing with *locale.gen.pacnew

> *I am not sure to fully understand the locale set up. My box is in
English, but I am living in Switzerland, write and read english and french,
> and uses a QWERTZU keyborad configured via keyborad layout in XFCE
settings.

> *[gabx at magnolia etc]$ locale -a
> en_US
> en_US.iso88591
> en_US.utf8
> POSIX*

> It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I right?
Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
> these locales :

> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR at euro ISO-8859-15

> Am I right to add all these locales?

> I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.

> What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my system
correctly? I see that all locales are going to */usr/share/
> i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify this list, but I
have no idea how to do that.

> TY for help.

Have you uncommented these in /etc/locale.gen, and then did the "$
locale-gen" thing?

If you haven't, I think you should do it. And then merge the .pacnew file
with the old one.