[arch-general] Campaign against Secure Boot

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 25 04:35:16 EDT 2012

Am 23.06.2012 04:09, schrieb Manolo Martínez:
> Is Arch going to sign [this petition](http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement)? I, for one humble user, would like it (us, whatever) to.
>
> Manolo

While I won't answer your question, I have this to say:

For a non-ARM PC to be certified for Windows 8, the EFI firmware MUST
support Setup Mode. As this is a "MUST" requirement, everyone will
fulfill it, as they really do want the Windows 8 logo (if anyone wants
to look up the source for this, go ahead, I am too lazy right now).

If I understand it right, in Setup Mode, you can either boot any
non-signed operating system, or you can import your own keys into the
firmware, so that you can sign your own bootloaders. For me, this is
enough to not care about Secure Boot.