[arch-general] Transition from grub-legacy to grub2

BlissSam m13253 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:10:10 EDT 2012

I saw a discussion in arch-dev-public mailing list (subject is grub/grub2 final). As that mailing list is read-only, I posted my comments here.

>>> I don't believe that pacman replaces a package with a group. Do we
>>> really need a group called grub? What's the use case for that?

I don't think a group called grub is needed.
Just try: pacman -Sw java-environment and see the result (you don't really need to install it)
It says `There are 2 providers available for java-environment' and want you to make a choice.
I wonder if it can be implemented here.

And the result will be, when a person types `pacman -S bootloader', it should say,
:: There are 4 providers available for bootloader:
:: 1: grub2-bios, 2: grub-legacy, 3: syslinux, 4: lilo

Sam