[arch-general] Campaign against Secure Boot

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 25 20:05:52 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 01:43 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 01:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 00:55 +0200, Karol Babioch wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > seems to be a classical case of Godwin's law ;).
> >
> > I've got no time to read your mail now, I'll do it later, but regarding
> > to the first sentences, Godwin's law is another issue. When talking
> > about different opinions there often is a confusion with fascism. But
> > the discussion is about "freedom" in FLOSS, a real discussion where
> > fascism might or might nor be involved. Btw. Mr. Goldwin
> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Mike_Godwin_at_Wikimedia_2010.jpg/220px-Mike_Godwin_at_Wikimedia_2010.jpg is not that smart as some people guess that he is, since a rule already pretentious implemented a "thingy". Does Mr. Goldwin stand above others? IMO he's just a smartass. His statement suffers from pretensions. A gobshite is unimpeachably, hence he doesn't have any opinion. To jump on bandwagons is easy.
> >
> > I might be mistaken regarding to my opinion or any other person might be
> > mistaken to her/his opinion, but Godwin's law is just contemptuous, it's
> > absolutely incorrect. Using such a unreflected law is a paradox, since
> > it's the most evil fascism in itself, because it's a stupid
> > generalisation.
>
> In German I'm eloquent, my English is terrible broken. Godwin simply is
> an asshole. It's easy to pronounce sentence of death, but living a
> secure stiffs live without risking anything for humanity.
>
> People can mistaken, but it's important that they risk something. Godwin
> just is a somebody else wearing designer glasses, just talking ... at
> least he seems to be, I don't know him personal.

PPS: I'm still the idiot, however, for some hardware UEFI can't be
disabled. I never mentioned Hitler. Again, good luck, I'm still using
Intel and/or AMD boards, where it should be possible to disable UEFI.
Should I be quiet, just because there aren't issues for me? I'm only
installing Linux distros, no Windows 8.

Simple, later I read all mails and if needed I'll excuse, if I should
notice that I was mistaken. M$ never ever will excuse, but being quiet
as Microsoft is, seems to be the more accepted way, even on Linux
mailing lists?

Pleas can anybody quote something where Mr. Godwin has risk his own
ass?!