[arch-general] Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:49:17 EDT 2012

On 06/26/2012 09:42 PM, Don deJuan wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 12:31 PM, Arno Gaboury wrote:
>> dear list,
>>
>> After a few months of running Arch, I am now fine tuning everything (or
>> at least trying).
>>
>> I discovered this error message in *kernel.log* file.
>>
>>    NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
>>   NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
>>   NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other
>> console
>>   NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
>>   NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
>>
>> Googling let me to many forum posts about this issue with Nvidia card
>> and driver, but I couldn't find any clear answer.
>>
>> I have tried all the cited tricks in my *grub* file:
>> -add *vga=0*, or *vga=795* (1208x1024), or *video=visa:off vga=normal*
>> -*GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=console*, *GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text*,
>> *GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep*
>>

>> and whatever else I couldn't remember, but nothing changed about this
>> message.
>>
>> As far as I understand, Nvidia does NOT support vesa framebuffer, but
>> only vga. Fine. My system is NOT using VGA console. Fine.
>>
>> But how do I need ton configure my *grub* file ?
>>
>> Here are the concerned line from my file :
>>

>> *GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
>> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
>> GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console
>> GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
>> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024*
>>
>> Please help as keeping running X like this is not recommanded.
>>
>> TY.
>
> Putting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text in my default grub, then running a
> new grub.cfg. Reboot and the message went away, though in the console
> the text is huge. I have seen no actual "fix" for this and have read
> that Nvidia is not even sure how or why it broke.
>
> The only other difference is I have GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x32 in mine,
> but with running text this setting is not used, at least that is my
> understanding.

I already tried this too, and yes, you are right. Message has gone, but
boot resolution is low.
I think I will stick to it until better is found, as I think best is to
avoid this message and have low res when booting. Sound more safe.
And you are right, difficult to find a clean answer, even from Nvidia.