[arch-general] Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 07:11:26 EDT 2012

> After lots of reading, especially *Nvidia* official readme, it seems
> this card SUPPORTS indded *Vesafb*. So I think this error message has
> nothing to do here, and I will keep my *grub* file as it was first.

Vesafb is a standard that all cards are meant to support since decades.
Running both full blown and vesafb at the same time may cause an issue,
I don't know. Nouveau is a kind of hybrid and closer to the
features of the nvidia driver but runs in KMS meaning you can close of
the dangerous I/O nvidia requires. Running nouveau and nvidia at the
same time certainly had issues in the past.

>> FWIW, the latest nVidia have broken my (and many others') suspend,
>> forcing me to vga=0 and very low console resolution. So
>> things are noticeably worse as of late.

*snip*
but I believe they are fixed now.
*snip*

In any case I wouldn't worry about it until you get corruption as you
already have a good resolution console and fast graphical desktop.

If you switch to the console a lot you may want nouveau on both as it
switches instantly but may slow down fullscreen flash. Atleast it
should switch instantly, some distros like fedora seem to have fscked
that up. Maybe they have more 3d nouveau features enabled than default,
but I doubt it, anyone know.