[arch-general] Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

Uroš Vampl mobile.leecher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:55:35 EDT 2012

Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury <at> gmail.com> writes:

> After lots of reading, especially *Nvidia* official readme, it seems
> this card SUPPORTS indded *Vesafb*. So I think this error message has
> nothing to do here, and I will keep my *grub* file as it was first.

No, it supports the vesa standard. All cards do. But that's completely different
from vesafb, a linux driver. When you use vesafb and the nvidia driver together,
you effectively have two drivers poking at the card at the same time. That
problems can arise from that makes full sense.

You can keep using vesafb. After all, the message is just that - a message - and
not an error. It's just that if something breaks, you get to keep the pieces.