[arch-general] Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:07:21 EDT 2012

On 06/27/2012 05:00 PM, Don deJuan wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 07:42 AM, Arno Gaboury wrote:

>>> Actually no Nvidia never supported VESA, it just happened to work.
>>>
>>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2561806&postcount=39
>>>
>> Are you so sure?
>>
>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.09/README/chapter-19.html:
>>

>> First sentence: *The NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver supports
>> all standard VGA and VESA modes*
> Well the link I sent was from an Nvidia employee posting about these
> issues, so yes I am sure. Also why are you pointing to a readme for
> the legacy version?
>
> It has been stated by Nvidia themselves in other places as well, that
> VESA just "happened" to work, was not "officially" supported. So take
> that as you will, but from what I have read and heard from Nvidia this
> is the case, even googling reveals the same information going all the
> way back to around 2003. But no point in arguing the semantics about
> this, I feel the information I found and gotten from Nvidia directly
> is more than sufficient, your choice if you want to listen to me and
> other Nvidia employees posting on this issue. You can easily get the
> same info regardless of what their README states. Or if you have any
> buddies in the Linux department at nvidia, shoot them an email and you
> will get the same response from them, it just happened to work.

So to sum up this thread, I am left with 3 options with a Nvidia card:
-uninstall Nvidia driver and install Nouveau
-run Nvidia in VGA mode with a low resolution console mode at boot
(couldn't find any trick to het an higher resolution, and I tried
alomost all I found)
-stick with the VESA mode and  this error message .

Am I correct?