[arch-general] skype - problem with audio playback when initiating call

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 17:46:19 EDT 2012

On 29-06-2012 21:50, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
>   I've been through the wiki, but this weird skype error occurs when
> attempting to make a voip voice call. The defaults set in skype "Sound
> Services" were:
>
> Microphone: Default device (default)
> Speakers: Intel ICH6, Intel ICH6 - IEC958 (hw:0,4)
> Ringing: Intel ICH6, Intel ICH6 - IEC958 (hw:0,4)
>
>   However pressing "Make a test sound" - there is NO sound. I can place
> a call, but there is no ringing audio, etc.
>
>   If I change the config to:
>
> Microphone: Default device (default)
> Speakers: pulse (pulse)
> Ringing:  pulse (pulse)
>
>   Pressing "Make a test sound" -- works! But, attempting to make a call,
> I get an immediate "Problem with Audio Playback" and the call closes.
>
>   I have set ~/.pulse/client.conf to "autospawn = no" and it make no
> difference. Any ideas?

Most probably something else is grabbing either the playback or the
capture device, at least I have only seen that error when that's the
case. If you don't want pulse to "manage" your sound devices you should
look into setting up an asound.conf with explicit entries for dmix and
dsnoop to avoid one program hogging the sound device.

That said, the latest skype has been working just fine here with xfce+pulse.

--
Mauro Santos