[arch-general] cpufreq stopped working

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sat Jun 30 17:24:39 EDT 2012

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:37:39 +0100
Leonidas Spyropoulos <artafinde at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2012 4:01 PM, "Leonid Isaev" <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:05:29 -0400
> > Martin Zecher <mzecher at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for answering.
> > >
> > > I already installed cpupower with no luck. I think that the problem is
> > > related with the module acpi_cpufreq, which loads but does nothing at
> all.
> >
> > For basic (automatic) scaling you don't need either cpupower nor cpufreq
> nor
> > MODULES=(acpi_cpufreq) with linux 3.4.x.
>
> Can you elaborate in that a bit more? Does the kernel handle that? What
> does the cpupower  or cpufreq offer more?

Yes, it's what they call CPU driver autoprobing:
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4#head-9df4e508cb97f4e138c590b9ccff3e0eda6cc7fc.

Basically, if your CPU supports scaling, the corresponding driver will be
loaded automatically. This and the fact that arch kernel now defaults to
ONDEMAND governor (CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y, FS#28778),
eliminates the need for userspace tools and explicit module loading.

If you want just default scaling (within hw defaults), you don't have to do
anything beyond enabling speedstep/coolnquiet in BIOS. But if you want to see
various info, control frequency range (to downclock, for instance) or change
the governor from the userspace, you'll have to install either cpupower or
cpufrequtils. Of course, you could achive some of it functionality by simply
echoing parameters to corresponding files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/*.

If you need to control frequency based on acpi events, you'll probably need
cpupower: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling.