[arch-general] Switching back to udisk1

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 4 08:38:27 EDT 2012

On Fri, 04 May 2012 14:59:05 +0300
Ionut Biru wrote:

> I'm a bit confused. Where did you answer yes ? I'm just asking because I
> did not replaced anything with udisks2.

Maybe it asked some other questions completely unrelated (2 I think), it
broke immediately after an update including this anyway.

[2012-04-25 11:52] installed udisks2 (1.94.0-1)

> > I've lost unmount access via sudo too, my scripts clean up on
>
> Here I'm again confused. Nautilus doesn't require sudo to mount or
> umount partitions. If you session is authorized in the right way to
> consolekit and a polkit agent is present, everything works out of the box.
>
> Note that it might require root password or your user password(if your
> username is in wheel group)
>
> > disconnect so it's not an immediate game stopper but is not right
> > either. I liked the fact it showed exactly where the device was
> > mounted even though it's always /media/usb[0-100].
> >
> > How easy is it to switch back to udisks1 and what problems can people
> > see for me going forward, if I do?
>
> Overall, is a miss-configured system.

It's a custom configured system with very simple scripts running as
a dedicated unpriviledged user (no real reason, just may as well for an
average desktop system with one main user) adding the following
functionalities that were missing at the time of design atleast.

Works with read-only root.
Allows custom mount options for any filesystem type.
Automounts any usb plugged in with only udev as a dependency to mount
locations such as /media/usb[0-100] (both of these greatly reduce typing
at a terminal without switching to X11).
Cleans up disconnected devices.

The only part which is now broken is a wrapper around mount which used
sudo and fell back to just mount, don't worry my update scripts keep
it in check. I did that because I noticed nautilus provided access to
the unmount command via the mount point rather than device display, that
has now dissapeared and I'm not sure if that's a bug or intended. Seems
silly to remove it to me.

udisks doesn't use mount and so I'm forced to look at the mess which is
polkit and udisks and how to add explicit custom functionality again
which I avoided to save myself time.