[arch-general] Unable to add fonts to X

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:44:03 EDT 2012

D. R. Evans said the following at 05/02/2012 12:48 PM :

> So /usr/share/fonts/TTF isn't in my font path.
>
> So I tried:
>
> xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/TTF
>
> And got:
>
> ----
> xset:  bad font path element (#37), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
>
> ----
>
> The directory /usr/share/fonts/TTF does exist, its permissions look OK (any
> user can read it and all the files in it), and there is a fonts.dir file.
>
> So we're halfway (having added the Type 1 font) but that one didn't require me
> to add a new font directory, which is the step that always seem to cause
> trouble. I could try moving the .ttf font to /usr/share/fonts/misc, I suppose,
> but that seems like a kludge. I wish that xset provided a more informative
> error message.

Is there some complete and current documentation about X and fonts in arch
somewhere?

There seem to be extensive discussions about fontconfig, but nothing I've seen
explains whether that has anything to do with X, so it's horribly confusing to
someone trying to understand how fonts are supposed to work.

Neither can I find any explanation of why "xset +fp" is giving error #37, even
though the fonts.dir file looks fine.

I never thought that simply adding a font could be so difficult. Perhaps I am
simply doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR