[arch-general] Console font not working anymore

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu May 17 03:34:44 EDT 2012

	Hi,

	Following a system update, I noticed that the console font is not
set anymore (I can't tell how recent this is since I don't go to the
console everyday). After some judicious editing of
/etc/rc.d/functions (to remove a 2>/dev/null and add a sleep so that
I can see the error messages) and some googling, I found that the
issue was due to the framebuffer not being initialized. I now have
two issues:

First issue: how can I find the right value for the vga= option?
According to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Framebuffer_resolution
there are three ways, none of which work:
- GRUB recognized value -> does not list my monitor resolution
(1920x1080) and the other 16:9 codes listed (1280x720) appear to be
wrong since they result in a distorted display;
- hwinfo --framebuffer -> does not show anything. I looked through
the full hwinfo output without options, but there didn't seem to be
anything framebuffer related there;
- vbetest -> does not work in 64 bits.

Second issue: when I activate the framebuffer with some default
resolution (say 1024x768 vga=773), the font is set properly, but it
is not kept: a few seconds after setting the font, the screen
resolution changes and the font goes back to the default. Once the
computer has finished booting, if I log in as root, source
/etc/rc.conf and /etc/rc.d/functions, then call set_consolefont
manually, the console fonts are set properly and kept until I reboot.

I have a fully up to date 64bits Arch install. The relevant hardware is:
- CPU: Athlon 64X2 3800+
- Graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 4350
- Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2370

	Thanks in advance,