[arch-general] NAS drive revisited

P .NIKOLIC p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Sun May 20 18:44:21 EDT 2012

On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:09:13 -0400
Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun 20 May 2012 21:58 +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > I am still not able to write to my external NAS drive an iomega home
> > media drive
>
> You just can't write? If you can mount but can't write, then you have
> the wrong permissions on the drive and/or uid/gid mixups, depending on
> how you want it set up.
>
> > So lets approach it from a different angle
> >
> > we will say i have not done anything yet just plugged it into the
> > network
> >
> > What packages am i looking to install and what configuration changes
> > do i need to make .
>
> See the Arch wiki. The ball's in your court here. What you read
> depends on how you want to access the drive. SMB? NFS?

I have read the Arch Wiki till i am blue in the face already hence the
mail ..

mounting with SMB  using the line below

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.154/backups -o /home/pete/nas/

After entering the password  it mounts . mount reports ..

//192.168.0.154/backups on /home/pete/nas type cifs
(rw,relatime,sec=ntlm,unc=\\192.168.0.154\backups,
uid=0,username=root,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.0.154,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsize=1048576,wsize=65536,actimeo=1)

i can see one thing but cant alter it  username=root but you can only
mount as root  or using sudo as i have been unless of course you know
different.

> > I am trying this way round as i am chasing my tail up somewhere dark
> > and nasty right now .
> >
> > I know the drive works perfectly i have just tried it with an old
> > Suse distro  on the Laptop and instant read/write no problem now if
> > it can work on there why wont it work on Arch ..
>

> Your description of the problem is much too vague. If you want help,
> you ought to describe more specifically what you're trying to do, and
> what is going wrong.

Hummm what am i trying to do  Write to the drive and being told unable
to write file

"Your description of the problem is much too vague"  Errrrr what more
is there to tell    it mounts i can read from it i am unable to write
to it  .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.3.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun May 13 10:52:32 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux