[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] linux-3.4.0-1 enters [testing]

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon May 21 11:02:23 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Frederic Bezies <fredbezies at gmail.com> wrote:
> Got a "warning on start" :
>
> [    7.552939] microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin
> [    7.554370] microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin

The "microcode" module is now loaded automatically if your CPU
supports it. Before you had to do it manually, that's why you see this
error now.

I suppose the reason is that you don't have the amd-ucode package installed.

> I got his in /etc/rc.conf :
>
> MODULES=(fuse powernow-k8 kvm-amd cpufreq_ondemand)

As far as I know you no longer need powernow-k8 or cpufreq_ondemand
any more, as they too are loaded automatically if your CPU supports
them.

@Tobias,Thomas: I guess we'll see these sorts of warnings a lot as
essentially everyone who does not have one of ucode-{intel,amd}
installed will get them. I suppose we COULD post a news item about the
change to module autoloading...

Cheers,

Tom