[arch-general] Systemd and init scripts

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Tue May 29 13:24:19 EDT 2012

The latest move of udev to systemd-tools brings up one question for
me. When do I need to stop updating my machines so I don't have to
switch to systemd? I don't take care of servers or a massive number of
systems, just two machines. I have them configured properly and
working well using the testing repos and currently don't seem to have
any obvious problems. I took a look at systemd and it seems a bit much
for my needs; two static wired ip addresses, no laptops, no mobile
devices, and one printer. Somewhat old fashion and very simple, one of
the reasons I started using Arch Linux to begin with.

I don't mean to be derogatory or flippant in any way, and I'm not
trying to start a massive thread on the pros and cons of either init
system. I appreciate all the work the dev's and tu's have put in to
making the system as wonderful and stable as it is. I simply don't
believe I need/want systemd.

Myra