[arch-general] TK related GUI program run VERY slow, any idea?

goodmenzy at gmail.com goodmenzy at gmail.com
Wed May 30 08:04:54 EDT 2012

Hi, all the Kindly friends

   Here is another new discover:

   I run aMSN  remotely.  That is to say, I use xhost cmd to allow some remote machine can use my laptop
as the X11 server, and one the remote machine, setup DISPLAY environment variable correctly.

   When run, The X11 server machine's hard disk begin to blink endless and the keyboard lost respones.

   I had use strace to hacking the problem. and found that when it happen, the program is in poll.
The fd param of poll is a socket.  Locally and  remotely run the TK related program, the FD is created
differently:

      local running is
        socket(PF_FILE, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, 0) = 5

      remote running is
        socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, IPPROTO_TCP) = 5

      And that is right I think. X11 protocal should run on the most fast way it found.

    Now, I can say that: This problem is something related to the TK and X11 library.
It has nothing to do with the GUI program's function ---- no git repo problems(when run gitk ), nor
networks problems( when run amsn ).

    More testing should be done, But I can't spend too many time on this. By far, the company
can not allow me to hacking the linux system all day and all night......

    Does anyone has any other GUI program that using TK library?
    We can try more softwares.....