[arch-general] Powertop tunables and performance

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:07:09 EDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 07:59 AM, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> On 31 May 2012 04:47, Martin Cigorraga<msx at archlinux.us>  wrote:
>>  From my subjective own experience, it don't, the only thing I don't
>> activate when my laptop is plugged is the mouse switch since it instructs
>> the system to turnoff the USB port whenever there's no activity on it and
>> that can be very annoying, believe me xD
>> Combining Powertop 2 with Liquorix kernel, Ulatencyd, e4rat, preload and
>> some more fancy tweakes here and there -sysctl.conf, grub kernel line,
>> etc.- I have a feather-light, lightspeed KDE SC full suite with every eye
>> candy effect on and the best part is my notebook -Pavilion dv7-4287cl-
>> reminds _cool_ all the time.
>>
>> --
>> -msx
>
> One thing that bugs me is the tunables section - you have to open up
> powertop every time you boot to set it correctly.
>
> I wish there was some way to just say "ok powertop - make all of the
> tunables good just by running" or "ok powertop make x y and z good,
> based on this tunable config file".
>
> Seems like that would be a good feature.

Then why not figure out all the tunable's you are trying to change
through Powertop2 and put them in a script such as handler.sh so when
you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that?
Seems way easier to me and is what I do. Just need to run it to find out
all the relevant changeable's for your system.