[arch-general] Powertop tunables and performance

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:25:53 EDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 08:15 AM, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> On 31 May 2012 11:11, Don deJuan<donjuansjiz at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> In AUR there is script called powerdown that does all that.
>>>
>> yup there is but you still need to make sure it is doing everything for your
>> system properly. To me it does not cover all the possibilities for every
>> machine out there. It is good to look at for example settings though.
>>
>> I know on my system it missed over half the tuneable's when I gave it a
>> shot.
>
> Exactly why using powertop would be much better - it works very well
> on my systems and seems to catch all the possible tunables on any
> system without me having to rewrite different scripts each time. I'm
> envisioning a
>
> powertop --set-all-good
>
> and be done with it.

I do my script 1 time only on each system I use, unless something starts
occurring with power issues and that has only happened on one machine
since doing it this way. Then just let it run as any script would. acpid
works perfectly to do what you want. Set it up one time and you're good
to go AND done with it. I do not get why you think you have to write a
script each time?