[arch-general] What is FONT_MAP for?

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Fri Nov 2 17:49:08 EDT 2012

Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM, "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote:
>> Damjan wrote:

>>> No,
>>> some console fonts don't have a Unicode map, so they're essentially an
>>> index -> glyph file where index is from 0-255. A unicode map adds a
>>> "Unicode Code Point -> index" mapping.

>>         Now I'm confused. According to setfont(8), there are two kinds of
>> maps (not counting the keymap): the console map (option -m) and the
>> unicode font map (option -u). What you describes appears to be the
>> unicode font map but that still leaves the other one.
>>
>>         BTW, which does FONT_MAP refer to? I tried to grep through /etc to
>> see how it is used in the initscripts, but this only shows the
>> vconsole.conf entry...
>>
> If you look at "man vconsole.conf", you see there's both FONT_MAP and
> FONT_UNIMAP.
>
> FONT_MAP refers to the console map, not the unicode font map.

	Thanks Jan. So the unicode font map is for when the font file does
not provide the association between unicode character and glyph
index, like Damjan wrote. What about the console map? Is it what I
described: a mapping from 8 bits to Unicode for programs that output
"extended ASCII" characters? This is what I understood from the
setfont man page, but given Damjan's earlier post I prefer to ask
for confirmation.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr