[arch-general] resume do not work after self suspend in gnome 3.6

Laurent Dudouet ldudouet at free.fr
Sun Nov 4 14:44:04 EST 2012

Hi,

On 2012-11-02 15:23, Mathieu R. wrote:
> Since the update to gnome 3.6, when my laptop goes to suspend 2 ram by
> have been ideling for 5 minutes, the resume does not work : i got a
> black screen with mouse cursor, and no way to log in GDM.

I get the same problem after resume under Xfce, unless the screen is
locked. The mouse cursor seems to see windows, as its shape changes when
I move it, but I don't.

>   I have to go
> to another TTY, restart gdm, and log in.

I got to a text console, set $DISPLAY and launched xkill, in case the
black background have been a window of some software. No effect (I
probably killed a random application).
I then sent the lock command to the screen saver. It took over the
screen, I unlocked it, and I get back my screen with visible windows.
So adding a hook to lock screen to /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep and
/etc/pm/sleep.d avoids the problem for me most of the time, even if that
doesn't really solve it.

I don't know whether Gnome screen saver will do the same for you,
neither the command to activate it, but it's worth to try.

On 2012-11-04 05:05, Martín Cigorraga wrote:
> what's your video card? $ lspci | grep -i vga will do it.

I will answer for me: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon RV250
[Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 01)
(It's quite an old beast. On a more recent laptop with more or less the
same configuration for the system, I don't have the same problem.)

> Also:
> 1. do you have installed acpi, laptop-mode-tools or pm-utils?

All of them.

> 2. what does happen if you suspend your system using the pm-suspend tool?

I works as described. On the other hand, suspend from systemd doesn't
even success to suspend this laptop. Only hibernate works (with the
famous black screen when waking up).

> A $ man pm-suspend will give you useful data about the quirks flags you can
> use.

Tried pm-suspend --quirk-radeon-off with no more success.

--
Laurent Dudouet