[arch-general] Qingy on systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Nov 8 20:16:37 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Curtis Shimamoto
<sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/08/12 at 04:00pm, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> Looks like it doesn't:
>>
>> [darose at daroselin ~]$ sudo systemctl enable qingy at tty6
>> ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/system/qingy at .service'
>> '/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/qingy@%I.service'
>>
>> :-)
>>

>> Sucks that this doesn't work as advertised.  It should be a
>> no-brainer to be able to set up qingy on tty6.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> DR
>
> Maybe you could simply remove the alias altogether.  I mean, if you are
> going to change it anyway, what is the difference between having it set
> via an alias or by your specification after the @?
>
> It makes me curious why it would be called qingy at .service rather than
> simply qingy.service if it is going to insist on being on tty1 either
> way.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit late to the party, so I'll reply to everything in one go.

AFAIK everything is working as advertised and intended, though maybe
not as expected. To sum up, "systemctl enable foo.service" has the
effect of looking for an [Install] section in foo.service and for
every Alias= creating a symlink by that name to foo.service and for
every WantBy=bas.target creating a symlink
bas.target.wants/foo.service to foo.service.

In this particular case it means that "systemctl enable
qingy at .service" will create a symlink from
getty.target.wants/qingy at tty1.service to qingy at .service.

Contrary to what one might reasonably expect there is not yet a
special treatment of service templates/instances so, as you have
observed, "systemctl enable qingy at tty6.service" does not work. I have
heard talk of improving this, but as far as I know nothing has yet
come of it.

It should be straight-forward to do the right thing: when a service
instance is enabled, the WantedBy information should be looked up in
the template. So if anyone is looking for an easy patch to get
involved with systemd, this is your chance ;-)

Cheers,

Tom