[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] steam in our repos?

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:40:47 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM, Joakim Hernberg <jbh at alchemy.lu> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 03:06:36 -0500
> Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Joakim Hernberg <jbh at alchemy.lu>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Not to mention that the package seems to install a wine version of
>> > steam that is in closed beta, which makes it less than useful for
>> > the majority of us.
>>
>> It doesn't use Wine (it's native), and it works without being in the
>> private beta (chat, installing a couple dozen indie games). You just
>> can't play the native ports of big titles (tf2, serious sam 3, etc.)
>> without being in the private beta.
>
> Ah, sorry about the wine allegation, it looked just like running it
> in wine and is multiilb with lib32 stuff.  My mistake, I should
> have verified before opening my mouth.
>
> When I try to login with my steam account I get told that: "This version
> of Steam is currently in closed beta. Login with an enrolled account to
> continue" http://dl.dropbox.com/u/879835/steam-beta.png
>
> --
>
>    Joakim

If you aren't in the beta, you can start it by running `steam
steam://open/games' (or another steam page), or by clicking a steam
link from your browser. As far as I can tell, they made it easy to
work around the "private" part intentionally, but it makes it clear
that you shouldn't expect support yet.