[arch-general] immediate sleep after resume

P .NIKOLIC p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 15 17:09:25 EST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:37:00 -0800
Curtis Shimamoto <sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/15/12 at 11:18am, Genes MailLists wrote:
> >

> >   Forgot to mention in original post - it seems well understood that
> > the window managers may or may not play nicely with systemd - as to
> > who will do power management.
> >
> >   If a user is not logged in - it is still nice to have systemd
> > sleep system on lid close for example - and for this reason the
> > window managers are given the ability to "inhibit" systemd when they
> > are claiming to do the power management. And when they are not, then
> > systemd does not get the "inhibit". [1]
> >
> >   Several window managers, KDE among them are supposed to "play
> > nice" with systemd in this regard.
> >
> >  So, one suggestion some have is not to use KDE at all for this -
> > and rely solely on systemd - it is of course less configurable. I
> > have not yet tried this approach. This can be done via the same
> > login.conf.
> >
> >  It's not a huge deal, as I just press power button to wake it up
> > again, but curious what others have found.
> >
> >  gene
> >
> >  [1] I'd rather have a positive than a triple negative
> > LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no
> >   might be easier to read as
> > LidSwitchInhibitIsActive=yes
> >

> Personally I just use xautolock, so I don't have to deal with these
> competing systemd.  I just use the native systemd (actually in its
> default form), and it works well.
>
> I was not aware that you were working towards teh goal of having
> systemd actually handle the stuff, as other users typically wanted
> their DE to handle the power management, and have systemd do
> nothing.  This is why I directed you to the man page, in hopes that
> you would find the HandleLidSwitch= setting.
>
> As far as doing it the way you want, I have heard (though I don't use
> KDE so I have no personal experience) that it's power management does
> not play nicely with this system.  I am not sure what power management
> setups do play nicely, but every KDE user that I have come across all
> ended up just setting HandleLidSwitch=ignore and being done with it.
>
> If you can get your proposed setup working, I would love to hear about
> it.  I do not use said systems, but I still welcome knowledge.
>
> Maybe a DE user can weigh in here. Best of luck.
>
> Regards,

Hi .

Well thou not using a laptop i am using systemd and the latest
kde 4.9.3   . I use the sleep button on the keyboard (logotech internet
navigator usb)  it all works perfectly  apart from a complaint about
shutting down 3 of the 4 CPU cores  prior to full shutdown

Reboot is almost instant working after approximately 3 seconds

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.6.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 5 11:57:22 CET 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux