[arch-general] LVM Thin Provisioning

Squall Lionheart headmastersquall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:04:03 EST 2012

Hello,

I have been reading about Thin Provisioning in LVM and wanted to play with
it however, when I try to create a thin pool it shows an error saying:

# lvcreate --thinpool -L 1G vg/pool
  WARNING: Unrecognised segment type thin
  Unable to create LV with unknown segment type thin.
  Run `lvcreate --help' for more information.

I am running version:

# lvm version
  LVM version:     2.02.98(2) (2012-10-15)
  Library version: 1.02.77 (2012-10-15)
  Driver version:  4.23.0

and have the following targets for device mapper:

# dmsetup targets
snapshot-merge   v1.1.0
snapshot-origin  v1.7.1
snapshot         v1.10.0
zero             v1.0.0
striped          v1.5.0
linear           v1.1.0
error            v1.0.1

According to what I could find, this feature has been available since
version 2.02.89 and is enabled with the compile time option of
--with-thin=internal, but doesn't appear to be enabled in the Arch
package.  Am I correct or does something need to be configured on my
machine?

Thank you
Squall

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world  txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
https://github.com/headmastersqual <http://twitter.com/headmastersqual>l