[arch-general] A systemd-logind shutdown issue

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Mon Nov 19 17:25:36 EST 2012

Hi,

	On all my installations with systemd I am seeing strange errors in
journal/syslog on shutdown. For simplicity, I use "systemctl poweroff" w/o X.
The error is either

----------------
Nov 18 16:37:26 bluemoon login: pam_systemd(login:session): Failed to connect
to system bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the
reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
----------------

or

----------------
Nov 13 18:00:02 bluemoon systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: main process
exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 13 18:00:02 bluemoon systemd[1]: Stopped Login Service.
Nov 13 18:00:02 bluemoon systemd[1]: Unit systemd-logind.service entered failed
state
----------------

I can only achieve "clean" shutdown if all users are logged out and the power
button is pressed. Somehow, if I simply stop/start systemd-logind.service it
restarts cleanly. So there seems to be a race on shutdown between
systemd-logind and something else (login?). I have seen similar problems on the
web, but noone seems to care...

Any idea how I can get more info about/debug this?

TIA

PS: And yes, the above error occurs independently of the value of
KillUserProcesses.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D