[arch-general] Unofficial Repository Guidelines

Jesus Alvarez jeezusjr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:48:42 EST 2012

Hey everyone,

There are no guidelines on the wiki for creating and distributing
unofficial repositories. The tools make this feature incredibly easy to
implement, but with that power comes great responsibility, and I am a bit
confused. It would be nice to have a set of guidelines for creating and
distributing unofficial repositories on the wiki.

The reason I ask this is because I created two signed repositories for some
packages I maintain, zfs and netflix-desktop. They do have usage, and in my
forum posts, people seem to really appreciate the availability of the repo.
However, I am not a TU, so my keys are not signed by any of the master
keys. I don't want to contribute to a bad habit of not checking package
sources before installing something from some repo. When I brought the
topic up in #archlinux, there was some concern I was using a repo and not
solely relying on AUR.

I did my best to provide lots of information to people, like the complete
sources and lots of information about myself and the packages so people are
comfortable adding my key to their keyring. But I am a
very thorough person, so doing this is natural. Others won't be so willing
to do the work.

So what is the general consensus regarding unofficial repositories?

Thanks,
demizer