[arch-general] Polluted login prompt

Curtis Shimamoto sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 16:50:53 EST 2012

On 11/22/12 at 06:19pm, kachelaqa wrote:
> On 21/11/12 16:00, Sudaraka Wijesinghe wrote:
> >I start both Apache and MySQL services on boot, and both of them display
> >the start complete message after the login prompt.
> >
> >Something like this:
> >>Starting MySQL
> >>Starting Apache
> >>login: [ OK ] MySQL started
> >>[ OK ] Apache started
> >
> >Although this doesn't break anything it just doesn't look nice. (BTW,
> >I'm not using any DM and getty is set NOT to clear any boot messages)
>
> I had this exact same problem with certain services spewing messages
> over my login prompt.
>
> I solved it by adding a slight delay to the startup of the offending
> service.
>
> That is, I created a file like this:
>
> [Timer]
> OnActiveSec=30
>
> And saved it as /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/httpd.timer.
>
> See man systemd.timer for further info.
>
> HTH

I noticed that when I turned down logging to the console in journald.conf
it started only telling me the fsck status of / instead of all of the
partitions. So maybe there is some happy medium that you may be able to
find without the quiet parameter and a lower "MaxLevelConsole=" setting.
I cannot remember what level it was though, I want to say it was the
equivalent to 3, but I am not certain.

I have since gone back to defaults and have to agree with the sentiments
of others that the quiet parameter with "systemctl --failed" is perfect.
The speed at which the boot stuff whizzes by is too fast to really be
usable anyway (though I am an SSD user).
--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com