[arch-general] systemd sessions, su -l, and access to /dev/

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Nov 24 16:43:15 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 02:48:14PM +0100, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 21:33:23 +0300
> MSal <msal at tormail.org> wrote:
>
> > 70-uaccess.rules is not a backup file and AFAIK any modifications will
> > be overwritten in the next update.
>
> I have no  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-uaccess.rules on my system, i do have
> a /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/70-uaccess.rules though.  I think creating
> the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-uaccess.rules to /dev/null symlink will
> override the standard rule and will not be overwritten by upgrading the
> udev package.

That's correct. When a file in /etc/udev/rules.d exists the one
with the same name in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d wont' be used. And the
one in /etc won't be affected by upgrades.

So the symlink to /dev/null in /etc will prevent devices being
tagged with 'uaccess' and then logind will leave them alone.

So, it is sort of a solution, but it looks fragile to me, and
I'd much prefer being able to configure logind to not use the
'seat' and 'session' model. No program should define such a
policy on its own and have it hardcoded.

Ciao,

--
FA