[arch-general] NetworkManager, DHCP and DNS

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 00:44:12 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:54:24AM +0200, Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you using NetworkManager with dhclient ?
> > NetworkManager with dhcpcd should give you no issues since dhcpcd sends
> > the hostname along with the dhcp request.
> >
> > dhclient does not with the defaults given by NetworkManager.
>
> Actually, it does. Here, /var/run/nm-dhclient-wlan0.conf contains:
>
> # Created by NetworkManager
>
> send host-name "philomeena"; # added by NetworkManager
>
> option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned integer 8;
> option ms-classless-static-routes code 249 = array of unsigned integer 8;
> option wpad code 252 = string;
>
> also request rfc3442-classless-static-routes;
> also request ms-classless-static-routes;
> also request wpad;
> also request ntp-servers;
>
> ---
>
> "philomeena" being the hostname of my laptop.

well then for the people where networkmanager is not so nice to:
the following is an actual example and consistent over all my machines
with dhclient (4 desktops having the exact same output)

--- /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf --- (without dhclient-eth0.conf)
# Aangemaakt door NetworkManager

option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned
integer 8;
option ms-classless-static-routes code 249 = array of unsigned integer
8;
option wpad code 252 = string;

also request rfc3442-classless-static-routes;
also request ms-classless-static-routes;
also request wpad;
also request ntp-servers;
--- /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf ---

if NetworkManager does not do the trick, create the dhclient-eth0.conf
file or symlink and your hostname will be sent for sure

--
Ike