[arch-general] systemd transition on virtual server - help needed

Florian Bruhin archlinux.org at the-compiler.org
Tue Oct 9 14:34:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

* G. Schlisio <g.schlisio at gmx.de> [2012-10-09 17:43:17 +0200]:
> i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.
> now that systemd smoothly comes to be standart, i would like to
> understand, how this affects my machine.

you _should_ be able to continue using initscripts for some while even
when systemd is the default.

> as this is a vps, i have no control over the running kernel, which
> is a 2.6.36.4-vs2.3.0.36.39-netcup atm. (netcup is a german
> webhosting provider).

This kernel version is more or less 2 years old, I'd suggest telling
your provider to upgrade.

Systemd needs at least 2.6.39 I think, and also some options (see [1])
enabled, so I think it's safe to say systemd won't run on your VPS.

> at what point will i (propably) get in trouble because of systemd,
> when (if ever) will i be unable to boot with this machine if i keep
> updating?

At the point there's an upgrade with systemd replacing sysvinit.
I'd add systemd and systemd-sysvcompat to IgnorePkg in
/etc/pacman.conf and hope.

Florian

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Q:_What_kernel_options_do_I_need_to_enable_in_my_kernel_in_case_I_do_not_use_the_official_Arch_kernel.3F
--