[arch-general] Suggestions for email for a paranoid Archer

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Oct 11 09:46:23 EDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 07:23 AM, Menachem Moystoviz wrote:
> Also, I've seen many users with email
> addresses issued by their own domain, which leads me to believe some of
> you may have gone through this before.

> The alternatives I'm aware of are:
> 1) Do what most people do, and just sign up for webmail, paranoia demanding
>      me to download all email every day. Possibly alias the domain by routing
>      everything through postfix first.
> 2) Host my own server, paranoia demanding multiple redundant backups.
> 3) No email - Knuth style

I do a combination of #1 and #2.

I have a (cheap!) web hosting account (with Dreamhost) which also
provides me with an email address on their mail system.  I have the DNS
entries for my domain point to Dreamhost, so any mail for my domain gets
delivered there.

But I only use Dreamhost as a mail drop-off point - I don't store my
mail there.  I have a cron job that runs fetchmail every few minutes
which pulls the mail down to my home server, where I'm running dovecot,
exim, and squirrelmail (webmail), and I access my mail there.  (As well
as make periodic backups of all the mail stored there.)

For outgoing mail I do the same in reverse.  I have exim on my home
server set up to relay any outgoing mail up to dreamhost's SMTP server.
  That gets me around the issue of not being able to send mail from a
dynamic IP.

HTH,

DR