[arch-general] Suggestions for email for a paranoid Archer

Taylor Hedberg tmhedberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:14:31 EDT 2012

Menachem Moystoviz, Thu 2012-10-11 @ 17:50:20+0200:
> Aye, but I have the following concerns regarding hosting the server
> myself: - Only have one server - no redundancy or reliability

You can set up more than one if you're that worried about reliability,
but it's almost certainly overkill for a personal mail server. Also,
Linode offers automatic backups for an additional $5/mo.

> - DKIM, PTR, SPF, rDNS all require money and static IP (more money)

Basically any VPS provider will assign you a static IP address as part
of the standard package. Linode gives you easy to configure PTR records;
most other providers probably do the same.

And I've never set up DKIM, SPF, etc. and yet I've never had problems
with people receiving mail from my domain. Results may vary, of course,
but I don't think it's a big deal as long as you aren't hosting your MTA
on a PC in your basement with a dynamic address from your ISP or
something.