[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] consolekit dependencies?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Oct 13 19:25:36 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Gerhard Brauer
<gb+ML-2011 at derbrauer.homelinux.net> wrote:
> What are the way for people which ex. use fluxbox via
> ck-launch-session and thunar as a filemanager (for
> dbus/polkit/udisks things) AND NOT systemd-logind ?
>
> Will there be a way to use dbus/polkit-releated actions without
> systemd?

No. Since polkit will soon only work when the system is booted with
systemd, the usefulness of consolekit is very limited. To minimize the
confusion we will therefore remove CK completely (of course if anyone
decides to create third-party packages as I proposed in the past [0]
it could still be possible to keep CK+polkit without systemd).

> I got more and more confused about the speed and amount of changes
> currently ;-)

There has been a lot of discussion about this on the ML. I remember
polkit losing CK support was discussed when the move to systemd was
first proposed [1], and I brought it up again in the proposal for
keeping sysvinit working [0]. You might find more background
discussion if you search our archives.

There was at some point an attempt at trying to make polkit work with
CK and systemd both [3], but it didn't go anywhere and the patch was
rejected upstream.

[0]: <http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-general@archlinux.org/msg31229.html>
[1]: <http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-dev-public@archlinux.org/msg19796.html>
[2]: <http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-general@archlinux.org/msg29297.html>