[arch-general] Suggestions for email for a paranoid Archer

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 14 04:45:30 EDT 2012

[2012-10-14 10:19:10 +0200] Menachem Moystoviz:
> So in essence, what you're proposing is to only upgrade from VPS to private
> hosting when the resiliency of my private server is good enough - i.e. not most
> naive setups? It does make sense, and would make backups more urgent
> and important.

Backups are a must regardless of your setup. Next comes the question of
reliability: how much downtime are you willing to trade for convenience?

Here is what I do: I nearly exclusively use my official email addresses
(professional, university alumni, Arch Linux) because there are people
who will notice and fix any issue 24/7, and I care deeply that every
email sent to me reaches its destination; whenever I feel like reading
emails, I pull them from those accounts onto my machine (and send a copy
to gmail automatically - I only use them as a backup service); I read my
emails comfortably using mutt and have a unison regularly synchronize
the (encrypted) copy of my emails I have on all my machines.

I also run postfix on my home server but only use it to run a couple of
silly mailing lists that I am perfectly willing to lose for a few weeks
if it so happens that I am travelling and my server breaks down. I would
not trust a private VPS more, nor any server that has a single admin.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan