[arch-general] Final step before changing to systemd

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 16 05:10:21 EDT 2012

Am 16.10.2012 03:56, schrieb Martín Cigorraga:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org>wrote:
>
>> [2012-10-15 22:25:58 -0300] Martín Cigorraga:
>>> Basically I need to know how to handle these daemons:
>>> hwclock
>>
>> Ditch it. Use NTP instead:

I think systemd does hwclock handling in some way. However, you should
always run NTP, on every machine, real or virtual.

>>> netfs
>>
>> Well, do you actually have network filesystems you wish to mount?
>>
>> --
>> Gaetan
>>

> Yes I do, I have several NFS4 shares in my household network but I'm
> looking forward
> to implement Avahi/Zeroconf instead since NFS4 takes ages to give up at
> boot if the
> servers are offline.
> Should I still enable the service then?
> Thank you!

Some tips:
1) Use the _netdev option in fstab. This makes sure systemd knows they
are network file systems and acts accordingly. Also make sure you have
the very latest nfs-utils, as the rpc-idmapd and rpc-gssd units have
been fixed there.

2) If you don't want to wait during boot, use the
x-systemd.automount,noauto option. This will mount the file systems on
demand.