[arch-general] Polishing systemd

Joshua Collins jeoshua at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 08:19:58 EDT 2012

On 10/16/12, Martín Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:
> 4. Is there any place for e4rat(lite)?
> Since I activated systemd's built-in ureadahead feature, will e4rat still
> add any improve-
> ment? What do you say?

I would suggest that you benchmark this for yourself.  I found pretty
good results using e4rat along with systemd readahead.  It will end up
taking quite a bit longer in "initrd" that way, but once it starts
booting services end up taking a lot less time.  A friend of mine,
however, had bad results doing this, and found that Preload did a
better job with Readahead and e4rat.  He didn't have the benchmarks to
back up his assertation tho.

So ymmv, but make sure you're using some tool to benchmark the
performance.  What "feels" faster isn't always.