[arch-general] "You have mail" message at login

gt static.vortex at gmx.com
Tue Oct 16 01:42:45 EDT 2012

Whenever I log in to a TTY, I get this message. I read my system mails
through mutt, so i don't need this.

I have unset MAILCHECK in .bashrc, but no effect.

I set MAIL_CHECK_ENAB to no in login.defs, but still no effect.

Lastly i tried creating a .hushlogin file in the user's home, but even
that didn't have any effect.

The message only appears when logging in through a TTY though, not in
any other terminal.

Any idea what's causing it to show up?

ps: Gaetan, here's the content of my .bash_profile

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

so, i believe .bashrc is sourced on login.