[arch-general] permissions mismatch error while upgrading the system

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Oct 18 03:37:45 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:46:36PM +1100, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2012-10-17 15:42:56 -0300] Martín Cigorraga:
> > warning: directory permissions differ on var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/
> > filesystem: 555  package: 755
>
> The difference between 555 and 755 is write permission for the owner...
> So it should be completely harmless to chmod that directory to 755.
>
> --
> Gaetan

Pretty sure the idea here is that the permissions in userland reflect
what the kernel presents us with for "permissions" on the filesystem. No
user will be able to write to rpc_pipefs, so the filesystem itself is
555. We should change this in the nfs-utils package so that its
installed as 555.

If you recall, the same thing happened with /sys being mounted as 555 as
of kernel 3.4:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=c56d8a73