[arch-general] fan/sensors problem in recent kernel update

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Oct 19 03:10:39 EDT 2012

It seems like a recent update to the kernel has changed the behaviour of
the system sensors module.  My laptop now constantly shows as being 10
degrees or so hotter than usual, which is causing the fan to run nearly
constantly.  However, when I boot into the lts kernel this behaviour
magically goes away and the fan is nice and quiet.

One other possibly relevant point:  in addition to the "sensors" command
showing higher temperature values under the main kernel, the format of the
sensors output is completely different between the main kernel and lt.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?  Sensors output is
pasted below.

Thanks,

DR

---

sensors output main kernel:

Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +72.0°C  (crit = +97.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +72.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +68.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +70.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

---

sensors output lts kernel:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device