[arch-general] syslog-ng depends on systemd?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Oct 21 16:39:18 EDT 2012

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:33:14 +0530
gt <static.vortex at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 07:24:28PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> > Look in syslog-ng.conf:
> >
> > unix-dgram("/run/systemd/journal/syslog");
> >

> > That means, in its default configuration it requires systemd.
>
> So you had been modifying it to work with initscripts?

No. Arch had been shipping a config file which didn't know about systemd's
socket until about two days ago. Now the arch default has changed. I am not
sure what was the vanilla syslog-ng.conf.

> I see in syslog-ng's changelog that it tries to detect systemd at buildtime
> and creates the conf file accordingly. So basically it just tries to play
> nice with systemd and doesn't really require it.

AFAIU when syslog-ng is compiled on a systemd-based machine, it will link to
libsystemd-*.so by default. So, systemd is required unless disabled explicitly
at buildtime. The config file is simply a text file which by itself doesn't
justify a dependency on anything.

In any case, all arch setups now carry full installation of systemd, so this
dependency is not a problem.

However, weren't there some rules which tell to not specify dependecies if
they are in the base group (systemd will be in base, right)? Like for example,
core/which can be replaced by a shell bultin type which is more informative
IMHO. But if you remove which lots of things will silently break.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D