[arch-general] Arch on SSD!

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 05:57:52 EDT 2012

On Monday 22 Oct 2012 10:34:48 Mauro Santos wrote:
> Or better yet, use UUID, I've been using UUIDs for a long time and they
> never failed me, while every once in a while I see people with problem
> when using /dev/sd*, I don't recall seeing people with problems when
> using lvm though, maybe those know what they are doing a lot better :p

I always prefer LVM names to UUIDs.  I use UUIDs for filesystems on raw
partitions, but LVM is clever enough to always use the same name regardless of
where the physical device is attached.  After all, the point of LVM is to
shield you from these sorts of details.

I always use the form /dev/mapper/vg-lv, though.  The /dev/vg/lv form
sometimes isn't available in early boot.  I think it depends of udev, and has
certainly broken for me in the past.

Paul