[arch-general] autofs issue after location change

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Oct 22 09:00:45 EDT 2012

     I had used one of my autofs mounts last night on my laptop. This
morning I put it to sleep and moved to a different location where that
nfs server is not available.

     I am fully updated to testing repo (as of last night anyway :-) ).

    (i) pacman hung (tho I understand from

	https://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=e183522e3168c4a31103b3c7910fa8d29333fb5a

        that this may be fixed .. tho that was quite quite some time
back so maybe something else is happening.

   (ii) Alerted by the hang - I tried to restart autofs via
         systemctl restart autofs

        Perhaps I didn't wait long enough - but this did not complete.

   (iii) So I rebooted pc. The shutdown hung after systemd reported
         [ok] for shutting off remote file systems. Again I only waited
a few minutes - perhaps it would have timed out after sufficiently long
- but how long?

   (iii) was especially surpising to me - I thought systemd would kill
the daemon sooner.

   Can anyone share What is the right way of dealing with this 'dead
autofs mount' issue?

   Thanks

   gene/