[arch-general] Modify installed package version

gt static.vortex at gmx.com
Tue Oct 23 02:44:06 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 05:16:30PM +1100, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2012-10-23 10:35:56 +0530] gt:
> > Alternatively can I rename the package directory inside
> > /var/lib/pacman/local/ and %VERSION% string inside the desc file to
> > achieve the same?
>
> Sure you can.
>
> But what exactly are you trying to achieve? Avoid upgrading a specific
> package? The IgnorePkg option of pacman.conf can make that happen in a
> much more robust way.

Actually, it is related to IgnorePkg.

I have a few packages locally compiled, for example mutt. I have stripped
all unnecessary options from mutt, and added it to IgnorePkg. Now when an
upgrade is available, i see the changes and decide whether to upgrade or
not. In case of mutt, the last two upgrades had added patches which i didn't
need. So i just changed the version in PKGBUILD to correspond to the arch repos.

Now instead of compiling everytime due to an unnecessary version bump, i
thought there must be a way to just change the version in the database,
hence the question.

Thanks to you and Matthew for the answers.